Thursday, March 19, 2009

My Sick Boy


Well, Matt is finally recovering from a long month of sickness. He got some kind of cold-RSV-bug this time last month. He had fevers and a pretty bad case of chest congestion. It was getting better slowly, until this time last week. His cough started sounding deeper and wetter and he started wheezing! We woke up several times Friday night and eventually Saturday morning Matt was running another fever, 101.5 degrees. I got dressed quickly and threw a coat on Matt and we went to beat the crowd at the Instacare. The doctor listened for a while to his lungs and then threw me this curve ball---- Matt had mild pneumonia! He also was wheezing from what he called "viral induced asthma". We got his first prescription ever for antibiotics and came home to cuddle and rest with him. I felt so horrible that my little guy was so sick, and that I've never experienced that kind of illness before so I didn't know how to relate 100%.


Matt slept alot that weekend and was still grumpy and fussy Monday, so we headed into his pediatrician's office. Dr. V listened to his chest and heard the wheezing but not the wet crackles of pneumonia (the antibiotics must have kicked that infection swiftly). Then he checked out his ears. And I was hit with another curve ball---Matt had a double ear infection now. My goodness, how much can one little babe suffer! My heart started hurting again for my little trooper. So Dr. V upped the antibiotic dose and sent us home to wait and watch. That night, Matt got a blessing by his amazing dad and Grandpa. He slept through the entire night Monday and woke up Tuesday happier and more energetic than he has been in a couple weeks. He loves the antibiotics (Augmentin for those of you who are curious). However, the medicine has given him diarrhea which has led to his worse case of diaper rash to date. That whole situation is looking better each day. Thankfully, I can now say Matt is on the road to recovery.


Something that just popped into my head about all of this is that I am blessed in more ways than I'll ever know. I know my son has been through some terrible illnesses and pains, but it could have been worse. I am blessed that he has a strong body capable of recovering. I am blessed to have access to medical attention. I am blessed to have a loving husband who would just hold Matt on the couch and let him watch cartoons and fall asleep with him, so I could rest too. I am blessed that Josh is a worthy Priesthood holder and can give blessings to help heal in time of sickness. I am blessed to know that our Savior Jesus Christ atoned for us and in that process experienced our pains and sorrows. That knowledge is dear to my heart. It allows me to pray and feel his love for me and my family. It helps me to know that even though I've never suffered pneumonia and I can't relate to the pain Matt was in, Christ knows and is there to succor us in our time of need.


3 comments:

Melissa DeMoux said...

I'm so glad to hear that Matt is doing better. We have been concerned about him too. We love you all.

Parish & Becca said...

That is so neat! I really enjoyed reading that, it's also good that he's better. You're lucky he didn't have to be hospitalized, I know a lot of people whose babies had to go to the ER for RSV and pneumonia. Aren't preisthood blessings wonderful :)

April and Davey said...

Im so glad he will be ok. Thanks for posting. We have so many blessing in this life. Its good to know we have The help we need when we need it.